During the summer—and for us really all year-round—air conditioners are a regular part of everyday life. As such, this means you spend a lot to use the appliance. In fact, HVAC costs can count for over half of all energy costs in a home! So naturally, when it comes to conducting Houston, TX air conditioning repair, you probably want to attempt to fix any problem yourself.
However, trying to do so can waste both time and money, and leave you with even bigger consequences for your cooling system. No matter what type of AC system your home relies on, only trained and licensed professionals such as ours should tackle repairs—however relatively minor they may seem.
The DIY Culture
There’s no denying that we very much live in a “do-it-yourself” culture, thanks largely in part to the internet. You can type a few terms into a search engine and find a tutorial for pretty much anything, from gardening to automotive repairs.
To be fair, there are may small projects throughout your house that only take a minimal amount of knowledge and a little hard work. But for other projects, like comprehensive air conditioning repairs, attempting to handle tasks that only professionals should, could lead you astray and cause undue damage to your cooling system. When you trust trained professionals for the job, you get:
- A Proper Diagnosis: Unless you have years of training, it’s going to be hard for you to pinpoint exactly what is wrong with your AC when there is any sort of malfunction. For instance, let’s say your system is short-cycling—that is, it’s turning on and off rapidly over a short period of time. This could be the fault of a refrigerant leak, or strain on a motor, a failing capacitor, a clogged air filter, or any number of other causes. The wrong diagnosis can lead to the wrong repair, without every addressing the actual problem.
- The Right Equipment: For most air conditioning repairs, you’re going to require tools that only professionals have access to, and the knowledge of how to use them without causing damage or injury.
- Refrigerant Handling: Were you aware that only licensed HVAC technicians are authorized to handle refrigerant? This is because it’s a chemical, and not handling it correctly can be harmful to both you and the environment. Besides, refrigerant is a vital component of your AC system’s functionality, and without the right amount (referred to as charge), the cooling system simply can’t operate as it should.
- Warranty Protection: In almost all cases, attempting AC repairs on your own and not have documentation from a professional for any changes to the machine can result in a voided warranty. Your warranty protects you from an early breakdown and costly replacement, so keeping it in tact is important.
- Efficiency: Sure, we’re talking about the efficiency of your air conditioner—but also the speed of which your repairs are completed. Would you really want to spend hours trying to repair a busted air conditioner on a hot day? When you consider the fact that you probably won’t be able to actually fix it at all, it makes far more sense to save your time and hire a professional who can get the job done quickly and effectively.
For quality air conditioning services from trained and experienced professionals, look no further than Fresh Air, LP Contact us today!